Friday 30 March 2012

Changes and moving forward

This blog was originally started for a library studies course that I did while I was working towards  my Library Studies certificate with Memorial University,. While I had every intention of keeping up the blog, as any “good” distance education student will tell you, life situations does get in the way at times. With that being said, I’m quite thankful for the instructor who taught me in that library studies course as I learned quite a lot, who would have thought that blogging would help me in masters degree? Its amazing how technology can connect across the miles, but be beneficial in our academic careers as well?
As I mention earlier I am working on my Masters in Education (Distance Education) through Athabasca University. The Library Studies certificate was a just personal goal of mine, I may never work in a library but the knowledge I gained from this certificate can be carried over to the distance education learner. Throughout my studies in adult education I learned that the libraries played a pivotal role in educating the public over a century ago in Eastern Canada(often referred to as Life Long Learning). On a historical note the University of London in the U.K. in 1833 first lead the way in offering degree's via distance education, and the only means of communication was the postal system.
Fast forward a century later technology is advancing at a rapid rate in how we communicate to one another,and learn. A more recent example is the turmoil in the middle east. Twitter, You Tube, cell phones, smart phones and emails helped people in sharing their ideals with a larger audience. In the west we experienced the struggles they encountered to enjoy the basic freedoms and rights the western world is enjoying today. I have been dong distance education courses for over twenty years,from the old printed materials, video and teleconference, and to the computer age. Its been an impressive change, and an honour to witness some of the historical changes for the better.

Today, regardless where we live in the world we can learn another language, study law, or complete a bachelor's, masters or doctrine degree. All of this can be done part time and at our own pace. Not many students have to time to attend school full time, due to family or financial situation and distance education is their only option. Depending on what you want to learn, its a journey well worth taking!

No comments:

Post a Comment